Frequently Viewed Government Pages

Council Action


Municipal Code


Utility Billing


Find Public Records

  You Are Here: Home: Government: Municipal Court: Passports

Passport Services

Passport Office Location

JMC BuidlingJustice & Municipal Center 
9002 Main St E,
Suite 100
Bonney Lake, 98391 


Processing Dates/Times 


**Notice of Change - Passport processing hours **

Effective February 1, 2017 Bonney Lake Municipal Court will be processing passport applications by appointment only.  Please schedule appointments as soon as possible to avoid delays. (253) 862-6606.

Application Forms 

Available at the Court and online at www.Travel.State.Gov

General Information

Passport processing services are available at the Municipal Court counter at the Justice & Municipal Center building. 

Passport applications are accepted and processed Monday through Friday by appointment only, except for legal holidays and City office closures.

Application forms for new passports, renewals, or amendments to a passport are available at the Municipal Court offices and online at


Passport FormsGet Passport forms at

Except when renewing passports that qualify for renewal by mail, all applicants must be present when submitting applications, including children. When applying for a new passport, applicants must provide two identical passport photos, an original or certified birth certificate or other proof of citizenship, and an acceptable form of identification. The birth certificate will be sent with the application, but will be returned with the passport by the Federal Passport Agency.

For more information on renewing passports, visit www.Travel.State.Gov and view the 'Renew Passport' section.

It usually takes 3 to 6 weeks to receive your passport, but in times of high volume it may take up to 6 to 8 weeks from the day we process the application. Please call the Court at (253) 862-6606 with questions, or e-mail the Passport Processing Coordinator.

If You Plan to Leave for a Trip Within 2 Weeks
If you need a passport right away, you must make an appointment with the Federal Passport Agency in Seattle by calling 1-877-487-2778 and you must take proof of your departure date. See also information on expedited service fees.

Birth Certificates

A certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar's signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within 1 year of your birth. Please note, some short (abstract) versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes (see Exceptions, below). When ordering a birth certificate, be sure to tell the agency you need it for passport purposes so you receive the correct document.

To obtain a copy of a birth certificate, you must first determine the State or area where the birth occurred, and contact the appropriate office that holds the record. Contact information for agencies in all U.S. states is available from the National Center for Health Statistics' Vital Records website:

The following is contact information for vital records in Washington State:

Washington State Department of Health

Tacoma-Pierce County Department of Health

Birth certificates for passport purposes can also be ordered online at (except for California birth certificates). Follow the specific instructions for the State you are ordering certificates from.

Birth Certificate Exceptions

Specific exceptions exist for birth certificates from certain states and counties, including California, Texas and New Jersey. For current birth certificate requirements visit www.Travel.State.Gov or contact Court staff for more information at (253) 862-6606.

  • Texas: Birth abstracts (short forms) from Texas counties Cameron, Hidalgo, Starr, Zapata, Webb, Maverick, Kinney, Valverde, Terrell, Brewster, Presidio, Hudspeth, and El Paso are not acceptable for passport purposes, unless the letter "I" follows the date filed on the certificate. 
  • California: Effective July 1, 2003, a birth certificate from California must be an "Authorized Certified Copy," or a long form certified birth certificate. California birth abstracts are not acceptable as proof of birth in the United States.  Click here for further information (224K).
  • New Jersey: Effective August 3, 2004, any birth certificate from the Hudson County Clerk's Office in New Jersey will not be accepted.  Only ones issued by the New Jersey Bureau of Vital Statistics in Trenton and those issued by local registrars of any town in Hudson County, New Jersey except Jersey City, New Jersey.


Passport Options and Fees

Last Revised July 2010

Passport Fees are payable by check or money order only. If more than one application is processed at the same time, fees may be paid in one lump payment by check or money order. 

For all first-time applicants, a separate $25.00 Execution Fee per application is required in addition to the Passport Fee (Execution Fees are included in the first time applicant fees listed below). The Execution Fee is paid to Bonney Lake Court at the time of processing, and may be paid by cash, check, money order, credit  or debit card.

No Execution Fee is required for Passport Renewals, which may be submitted by mail directly to the passport agency. The Renewal form can only be used for passports issued within the last 15 years for applicants who were at least 16 years old when the previous passport was issued, and who can answer 'yes' to the required questions listed on the renewal application. 

For complete information on passport application requirements and fees, visit www.Travel.State.Gov.

Passport Books:  Passport Cards: 
  • Valid for international travel by air, sea or land.
  • Validity:
    • 10 years for adult
    • 5 years for minors under age 16.
  • Cost for First Time Applicants:
    • $110 for Adults
    • $80 for minors under age 16
    • $ 25 processing fee
  • Cost for Renewal:
    • $110 for adults
  • Valid when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. Not valid for international travel by air.
  • Validity:
    • 10 years for adults
    • 5 years for minors under age 16.
  • Cost for First Time Applicants
    • $30 for Adults
    • $15 for minors under age 16

Cost for First-Time Applicants when Applying
for both a Passport Book + Passport Card:

Adults: $140
Minors: $95

Other Fees & Services

For complete information on optional services, payment instructions, etc., please visit www.Travel.State.Gov.

  • Expedited Service: $60.00
  • Passport Book Overnight Delivery Fee: $15.45
  • File Search: $150.00


Checking the Status of an Application

After your application has been processed by a passport agent you may go to Department of State Passport Website to check the status from the Federal Passport Agency.


Passports for Children

Children under 16 years of age must have both parents present for processing as provided by Public Law 106-113, Section 236. If only one parent can appear, that parent must present evidence for sole legal custody or have the absent parent complete form DS-3053 , Statement of Consent, which starting November 1, 2004, must be notarized and submitted with that child's application. 

Eligible Proofs of Sole Legal Custody:

  • Child's certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate listing only applying parent;
  • Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (DS-1350) listing only one parent;
  • Court order granting sole custody (unless child's travel is restricted by that order);
  • Adoption decree (listing only the applying parent);
  • Court order specifically permitting applying parent's or guardian's travel with the child
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent;
  • Death certificate of non-applying parent;
  • Written consent of the other parent for the issuance of the passport;
  • Written statement explaining why non-applying parent's consent cannot be obtained.

If no parent is available to sign/appear, the third party in loco parentis (taking on responsibilities of a parent for someone else’s child) must appear with a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents/custodial parent(s) authorizing the third-party to apply for a passport. When the notarized statement or affidavit is from only one parent, the third party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent.


For more detailed information on passport requirements, visit call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778, toll free. TDY users call 1-888-874-7793.



(253) 862-6606
Court Clerks



Bonney Lake Justice & Municipal Center
Municipal Court
9002 Main St E, Suite 100
Bonney Lake, WA 98391 
Get Directions


Copyright © 2010 City of Bonney Lake. All Rights Reserved | For Staff | Disclaimer | Privacy |Sitemap