Frequently Viewed Government Pages

Council Action


Municipal Code


Utility Billing


Find Public Records

  You Are Here: Home: Government: Departments: Executive: Finance Utility Billing

Utility Billing


Utility Billing
Go Green - Sign Up For eStatements
All utility billing is handled by the City of Bonney Lake Finance Department, except solid waste and recycling, which is handled by D.M. Disposal (more information available

Utility accounts are the responsibility of the property owner. The owner remains responsible for payment, even if the property owner provides a written request to bill tenants. For information on rates and other charges, see the Utility Rates section, below.

Utility charges are due upon receipt and become delinquent on the 15th of the month following the billing. A penalty of 2% is added to all delinquencies. Disconnection is scheduled 30 days after the date of delinquency.

In the event of disconnection (water shut-off) due to delinquency, all charges plus a $100.00 turn-on fee must be paid to reconnect service. The City reserves the right to require cash to redeem any check returned by the bank for any reason.


Billing Cycles
Residential customers who reside inside the corporate Bonney Lake city limits are billed for basic services on a monthly basis and for commodity (consumption) on a bi-monthly basis. Meters are read on odd months (January, March, May, July, September, and November).

Residential customers who reside outside the corporate City limits are billed on a bi-monthly basis for both base charges and commodity (consumption) charges. Meters are read on even months (February, April, June, August, October, and December).

Commercial non-residential accounts are billed monthly for both basic service charges and commodity (consumption) charges. Meters are read monthly.

Account Changes/Transfers

City of Bonney Lake accounts are maintained in the name of the property owner. Requests for changes to account information must be made by the property owner. Whereas the City has set controls to prevent identity theft, proof of identification is required for any name or mailing address changes. 

This policy is in effect as of May 1, 2009 and is in compliance with the Federal Trade Commission's 'Red Flags Rule.' For more information on these rules, please view the FTC website:

To request changes to an account, such as transferring an account to a new owner, turning service on or off, changing your mailing address, etc., submit the appropriate form to the Bonney Lake Utilities desk at the Bonney Lake Justice & Municipal Center, second floor

Applications for utility service accounts must be submitted in person. P
hoto identification, such as a Washington State Driver's license, is required. Use the links below to download the forms. Fees may apply; see Other Services and Charges, below.

Account Change Forms 
lso available on the Forms Page. Fees may apply, see Other Services and Charges, below.

Application for Utility Services
   ¤ Request for Account Changes
   ¤ Request to Bill Tenant 

Because utility services are a lien against the property, purchasers are encouraged to ask their title company to verify billing status prior to closing. Additional fees may apply.


Submit forms to:

Questions? Call us:
(253) 447-4317

By Mail

City of Bonney Lake
Attn: Utility Billing
P.O. Box 7380
Bonney Lake, WA 98391


In Person

Justice & Municipal Center 
Finance - Utilities - Suite 250

9002 Main Street East
Bonney Lake, WA 98391


By Fax

(253) 447-3181


Payment Options

Please include the account number and telephone number on all checks.



As of September 16, 2010, service charges are no longer applied to online payments.

Go Green - Sign Up For eStatements

By Mail:

City of Bonney Lake
P.O. Box 1330
Caldwell, ID 83606
Please note our new mailing address for billing as of June 2010.

In Person:

We're Moving March 2013 - view detailsJustice & Municipal Center
Finance - Utilities - Suite 250
9002 Main Street East
Bonney Lake, WA 98391

Get Directions

Credit/Debit Cards Accepted
For your convenience, we now accept credit and debit card payments.

Forms of payment accepted:

Cash, Check, Credit/Debit (MasterCard or Visa). Customers must present current identification when making credit/debit card payments.

A locked drop box is located outside the Justice & Municipal Center for after-hours payments made by check or money order.

Customers can also purchase and renew
dog and cat licenses and boat launch permits at the Utilities Desk.

By Phone:

(253) 447-4317
During normal office hours - 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.


2014 Utility Rates
Effective 1/1/2014

View all revised rates

Utility Rates

   Water Rates
   Sewer Rates
   Stormwater Rates
   Senior / Disabled Persons Discount
   Leakage Rate Reduction
   Other Services & Charges

Water Rates

Water/Sewer Rate Changes

  • Effective January 1, 2014, Water, Sewer, and Stormwater Rates are revised per annual adjustments. View all revised rates. 

  • Effective January 1, 2013, utility rates are revised annually per the annual CCI Adjustment.

Water Base Rates

See Bonney Lake Municipal Code Chapter 13.04 for details. Effective January 1, 2014 the Water Availability Charges (base rates) for customers are as follows (qualifying seniors and disabled persons are granted a discount on the water availability charge, see below):

Water Availability Charge - Effective January 1, 2014
(Base Rate)

Meter Size

Inside City Limits

Outside City Limits

5/8" - 3/4"



1" with Fire Sprinkler System



1" without Fire Sprinkler System



1 1/4"



1 1/2"















Water Consumption Rates

Water consumption is recorded by water meters in cubic feet (7.48 gallons = 1 cubic foot). Water meters are read in hundreds of cubic feet (CCF). Effective January 1, 2014, Commodity (Water Consumption) rates are as follows (qualifying seniors and disabled persons are granted a discount on the Sewer Availability Charge; see below):


Water Consumption Rates - Effective Janaury 1, 2014

Winter - October 1st to May 31st

Inside City Limits

Outside City Limits

0 - 10 CCF per month



Over 10 CCF per month




Summer - June 1st to September 30th

Inside City Limits

Outside City Limits

0 - 10 CCF per month



11 - 20 CCF per month



21 - 30 CCF per month



31 or more CCF per month



Note: Because each meter cannot be read on exactly the first day of the changeover month (from winter to summer rates or from summer to winter rates), the new rate will take affect on the next cycle after the reading in the changeover month. For example, if the rate changes May 1st and the meter is read May 13th, the May 13th reading will apply the winter rates, while the next reading will apply the summer rates. The reverse is also true for the changeover from summer to winter rates.

Multi-Family Residences (apartments, condos, etc.) are billed the base rate/availability charge multiplied by the number of units. The consumption allowance is 1,000 cubic feet per month per unit. For more information, see BLMC Chapter 13.04.100(D), Multiple Residential Units.

Water Rate Adjustments

Beginning on January 1, 2009, the water rates listed in BLMC 13.04.100 are adjusted each year on January 1st by the annual change in the most recent Seattle-Bremerton-Tacoma Consumer Price Index (Urban Customers) published by the U.S. Department of Labor.

ewer Rates

Sewer Base Rates

See Bonney Lake Municipal Code Chapter 13.12. Effective on July 1st* of each year, the Sewer Availability Charges and volumetric charges are as follows (qualifying seniors and disabled persons are granted a discount on the Sewer Availability Charge; see below):

Single-Family Availability Charge
NOT requiring or using a city-owned grinder pump.

(1/1 - 6/30)

July 1, 2012*

July 1, 2013

July 1, 2014

July 1, 2015

Sewer availability charge






Volumetric charge per 100 cubic feet (CCF) of monthly water consumption






Single-Family with Grinder Pump Availability Charge

(1/1 - 6/30)

July 1, 2012*

July 1, 2013

July 1, 2014

July 1, 2015

Sewer availability charge






Volumetric charge per 100 cubic feet (CCF) of monthly water consumption






Grinder Pump Charge** (BLMC 13.12.090)






Sewer Volumetric Rate Caps
For single-family residents, the volumetric charge shall be capped at 10 CCF per month. Sewer availability charges shall be billed monthly. Volumetric charges for single-family residences shall be billed bimonthly. 

For multi-family residents, the volumetric charge shall be capped at 8 CCF per month. There shall be no cap for other customers covered by this subsection. Sewer charges for customers other than single-family residential shall be billed monthly.

* Utility rates were revised effective July 1, 2012 per Ordinance 1429 and 1430. Please view Utility Rate Changes Effective July 1, 2012 for detailed information.

** Grinder Pump Fee & Service Charge: A separate Sewer Availability Charge applies to single-family residents using a city-owned grinder pump (Grinder Pump rate). In addition, for every building using a domestic grinder lift pump utilizing electric power furnished by the city or maintained by the city, there shall be an additional monthly charge of $18.00 (2012 rate) to reimburse the city for the cost of the electric power and/or for the service on the pumps (BLMC 13.12.090).

Sewer Rate Adjustments

Effective January 1, 2016, the sanitary sewer rates listed in BLMC 13.12.082 are adjusted each year on January 1st by the annual change in the most recent Seattle-Bremerton-Tacoma Consumer Price Index (Urban Customers) published by the U.S. Department of Labor.

Storm Water Rates


2014 Utility Rates
Effective 1/1/2014

View all revised rates

See Bonney Lake Municipal Code Chapter 15.14. Effective January 1, 2012, customers inside the City limits with property in a residential zone (single family and multi-family) are charged a $14.00 per month storm water fee. The non-residential property rate is $14.00 per month per ESU (equivalent service unit).

Storm Water Rates 2010 2011  2012 2013 2014
Single-Family Residences
(per month)
 $12.00   $14.00   $14.00   $14.00   $14.00 
Multi-Family Residences
(per month)
$12.00 $14.00 $14.00  $14.00  $14.00 
(per ESU per month)
$12.00 $14.00 $14.00  $14.00  $14.00 

Senior/Disabled Persons Discount

The Senior/Disabled Persons discount for qualifying property owners is:

To qualify to receive  this discount, the utility customer must provide proof that they receive the Pierce County "Senior Citizens & Disabled Persons Property Tax Exemption". Because of this requirement, only the property owner can apply for the discount. 

For more information about the County’s property tax discount, please visit the Pierce County website or call the Pierce County Assessor-Treasurer’s Office at (253) 798-2169.

To apply for a discount on your utility bill, submit the Senior Citizen/Disabled Discount Application form to the Bonney Lake Utilities division. Forms are available at the Utilities Desk, or you may download and print the form using the link above. Please call (253) 447-4317 with any additional questions about this discount.

Leakage Rate Reduction
Revised 12/2009

Download: General Meter Information (27K)
                   Leak Adjustment Request Form (48K)

The City of Bonney Lake offers a leak adjustment to customers who have had a leak in their private plumbing system when the leak is repaired. The adjustment shall be two-thirds of that portion of the customer’s water bill which is over the average normal water usage. An adjustment may be granted upon written request with documentation (repair receipts) and approximate date of prompt repair.

Adjustments are granted no more than once in each 2 year period and apply to billings for three months, or two consumption billings. The adjustment shall be limited to the period of 90 days prior to the repair of the leak. This process may take approximately 60-90 days depending upon the date your leak was repaired and the next scheduled meter reading cycle, which are done bi-monthly.

Please download and review the General Meter Information sheet for information on meters, leaks, meter malfunctions, misreads, repairs and adjustment policies.

To request an adjustment, submit a Leak Adjustment Request Form to the City Finance Department to the attention of the Utilities Supervisor. The letter must include your name, address, account number, phone number, the reason you are requesting an adjustment, the date of prompt repairs, and applicable documentation of repairs (such as receipts).

Additional information on utility rates and adjustments is available in BLMC Chapter 13.04.100(G).

Other Services and Charges

  • See BLMC 13.04.091 for charges related to change of ownership, duplicate bills, returned checks, payment plan setup, meter reads outside the standard cycle, requests for estimated final bills, etc. Listed fees include:
    • Estimate final (per request): $5.00
    • Change of ownership: $35.00
    • Duplicate Bill Sent (tenant): $45.00
    • Payment plan setup charge: $15.00
    • Returned check charge: $35.00
    • Read outside standard cycle: $45.00
  • Meter Locks: If a lock has been removed from a meter that has been locked off for any reason, a $100.00 fee will be charged in addition to any utility charges due and payable. If the meter or setter is damaged by this action, the property owner will be charged for labor and materials to repair the service.
  • Private fire hydrants, stand pipes, fire sprinkler systems, etc.: monthly charge of $3.00.
  • Special purpose use of water from fire hydrants or stand pipes: $10.00 plus $1.00 per 100 cubic feet for all water used inside the city limits and $14.00 plus $1.44 for all water used outside the city limits. 
  • If the water meter is shut off, the monthly charge is $5.00 within city limits and $6.90 outside city limits.
  • Irrigation Rates: a separate meter is required for irrigation use. There is no availability charge for irrigation meters. The commodity charge is 25% greater than the applicable commodity charge for non-irrigation usage that exceeds 100 cubic feet per month (the ‘tailblock’).



DM DisposalSolid Waste & Recycling Service

The City of Bonney Lake contracts with D.M. Disposal for solid waste (garbage and recycling) service. New service rates go into effect March 1st each year. 

Automated Garbage Service begins November 2014

Rates & Information


Spring Clean-Up  2015 Dates TBD
Each year D.M. Disposal offers Spring Clean-Up Week for customers in Bonney Lake at no additional charge. See our Special Events page or contact D.M. Disposal for more information.

or more information please contact D.M. Disposal directly or visit their website:

     D.M. Disposal
     Phone: (253) 414-0347
     Toll Free: 1 (888) 806-7048




Dump, Recycling, and Household Hazardous Waste Disposal

Other Recycling Services
Find out how to recycle, dispose of, or donate items from railroad ties to propane tanks:
Pierce County Solid Waste Division - Recycling Menu

The Prairie Ridge Transfer Station is the local solid waste dump and recycling facility. For more information, contact the transfer station directly or view their website:


Address: 11710 Prairie Ridge Dr E, Bonney Lake

Phone: (253) 862-1704 

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) such as batteries, flourescent light bulbs, motor oil, etc. is accepted at the Hidden Valley Transfer Station in Puyallup and the Tacoma Landfill for Pierce County residential households. For more information and lists of acceptable household hazardous waste materials, visit or, or the 'Recycling Menu' link above/right.


Find Rebate Programs

WaterSense High Efficiency Toilet Rebate Program
The WaterSense program ended as of December 31, 2011. The initial program ran from July 1, 2009 to December 31, 2010, and was renewed from January 1, 2011 through December 31, 2011 per Resolution 2088. For more information please contact the program at 1-877-961-6149 or visit

WashWise Clothes Washer Rebate Program
The WaterSense program ended as of December 31, 2011. This program began in June 1, 2008 for Bonney Lake utilities customers and ended in 2011. For more information, qualifications, rebate forms and instructions, please view the WashWise Program web site.




Phone: (253) 447-4317
Fax: (253) 447-3181
After-Hours Water/Sewer Emergencies: (253) 841-5538

Staff Contacts

Utilities Cashier
Accounting Specialist

Justice & Municipal Center
9002 Main Street East, Suite 250
Bonney Lake, WA 98391

Mailing Address - Utility Payments
See Payment Options
City of Bonney Lake
P.O. Box 1330
Caldwell, ID 83606

Mailing Address - Correspondence / Forms
Attn: Utilities 
City of Bonney Lake
P.O. Box 7380
Bonney Lake, WA 98391

Service Area Map

See our Maps Page for the current Water and Sewer Service Area Map.
     Water-Sewer Service Area Map

See our Public Works Water Division page for water quality reports, water conservation tips, and links to other informational resources.


Cold Temperatures & Frozen Pipes

Temperatures below freezing can cause water pipes to freeze and burst. If you have frozen pipes, call a licensed plumber. If your water meter is frozen or leaking, and/or you need your water to be turned off at the meter, you must contact the City for this service. If you do damage to your water meter, you will be billed for its repair or replacement!

During normal office hours
(8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.), please contact Public Works at (253) 447-3101 to request that your water be shut off at the meter. For after-hours water/sewer emergencies, please call (253) 841-5538.

For information and tips to prevent your pipes from freezing, check out these helpful resources:
- "How to Prevent Frozen Pipes" - Seattle Times, Dec. 9, 2009
"Preventing Frozen Pipes" - The Weather
- "If your Pipes Freeze or Break" - The Weather

* Portions of this content originated at the City of Sumner website.


Copyright © 2010 City of Bonney Lake. All Rights Reserved | For Staff | Disclaimer | Privacy |Sitemap