On May 4 at noon, Pierce County Emergency Management will test the 17 outdoor lahar warning sirens in the Puyallup River Valley. This is a monthly drill that takes place on the first Monday of the month. A Pierce County Alert will be launched at 9:00 on Monday morning to citizens who have signed up to receive informational messages.
Sign up for Pierce County Alert to receive notifications about emergencies that may affect the locations you care about on up to 10 different devices (cell phone, home phone, text, email, and more).
Bonney Lake, WA – Beginning Monday, May 4, 2015, work will resume on the approaches to the SR410 bridge over Angeline Road. Also expected later that week will be the continued removal of temporary materials attached under the north-side of the bridge and which were damaged in the construction accident. The reinstallation of new materials will be necessary before the actual work on the bridge begins again in a few weeks. The public should be prepared for the full closure of Angeline Road where it passes under SR410 whenever any further work on the bridge itself is required. Detours will continue to be provided during road closures. The City remains committed to assisting all our city construction and road contractors achieve an appropriate level of safety at all times.
The City and WHH Nisqually have agreed to the removal of subcontractors involved in the bridge demolition accident. The final completion of the project, which is intended to enhance the safety of pedestrians and motorists along SR410, will be an important step for the community to move forward from this tragedy. The City continues to extend its most sincere condolences to the families and friends of Josh, Vanessa and Hudson Ellis
View the original press release here.
Check out these stats from Bonney Lake’s Spring Clean Up Week event last week!
- 2.65 tons of personal documents were securely shredded (a great turnout for our first Shredathon event!);
- 18 refrigerators and 38 other appliances were picked up (with necessary Freon removal);
- 151 extra bags/cans of yard waste were picked up; and
- 426 extra bags/cans of garbage were picked up (19,180 lbs total!)
Spring Clean Up Week (April 20-25, 2015) is an annual event during which the City of Bonney Lake’s solid waste company, DM Disposal, picks up extra garbage, recycling and/or yard waste and 1 appliance at no additional charge for customers. For more information call DM Disposal directly at (253) 414-0347.
Bonney Lake Police Department
TRAFFIC EMPHASIS OF THE MONTH
“Click it or Ticket” & Driving while License Suspended/Revoked
During the month of May 2015, Officers will be conducting a special traffic enforcement emphasis looking for seat belt, child safety seat and suspended driving violations.
Seatbelts Save Lives:
- Wearing a seat belt decreases the chance of dying or being seriously injured in a collision by about 70 percent.
- Regardless of the vehicle, seat belts save lives — In 2011, NHTSA statistics show that 21,253 occupants of passenger cars, trucks, vans and SUVs were killed in motor vehicle crashes nationwide— and 52 percent were NOT wearing seat belts at the time of the fatal crashes.
- Teens and young adults are at higher risk — Among young adult passenger vehicle occupants, ages 18 to 34, who were killed in crashes, 64 percent were not buckled up—the highest percentage of any age group. The number jumps to 66 percent when only men in this age group are included.
- The numbers change, the facts don’t — 53 percent of the 121,507 passenger vehicle occupants who were killed on our roadways from 2007-2011 were not wearing their seat belts at the time of the fatal crashes, according to NHTSA. Wearing a seat belt is the single most effective way to reduce fatalities in motor vehicle crashes.
Suspended driving statistics:
- According to a recent study by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, one in every five fatal car crashes in the United States each year involves a driver who does not have a valid license. The study reported that 8,400 people die on average each year in crashes with unlicensed drivers. It also found that 28% of the lawbreaking drivers had received three or more license suspensions or revocations in the three years before their fatal collision.
Bonney Lake Police Officers for the month of May, 2015 will impose a no tolerance policy on these violations and will be issuing traffic infractions and citations in an attempt to reduce injuries and deaths that result from motor vehicle collisions with unbuckled and unlicensed drivers.
***If your vehicle is impounded by the Bonney Lake Police Department for driving with your license suspended, you will need to do the following during business hours (8:30am-5pm) Monday-Friday, excluding Holidays:
- Request a release form in person at the Bonney Lake Police Department.
- Pay $100 administrative fee at the Bonney Lake Police Department.
- Pay all impound and storage fees to Tow Company and provide them the release form and administrative fee receipt.
UPDATE 4:10 p.m.
The scheduled Angeline Road closure ended today by 2:00 p.m. and no closure is necessary tomorrow (Friday).
Angeline Road will be closed at SR410 on Thursday, April 30th from 7am to 4 pm (revised) to allow debris removal from the roadside. Possible closure Friday morning, as well. Detours will be posted.
Update: City officials and contractor viewed the SR 410 overpass today as part of the continuing investigation into the April 13th accident on Angeline Road.
Cascade Water Alliance, the agency that manages Lake Tapps, posted a press release last week regarding the refill of Lake Tapps – April 2015 Lake Tapps Reservoir Refill Update – 4.23.2015
For City of Bonney Lake boat launch, boating regulations and other information, visit www.citybonneylake.org and search ‘Boating’.
Come join Bonney Lake volunteers to celebrate Parks Appreciation Day and Arbor Day on Saturday, April 25th from 9am to Noon! Volunteers will meet at the Midtown Park (WSU Forest) entrance behind Fred Meyer & Regal Cinemas on the South side of SR 410 between South Prairie Rd and 214th Ave E. For details see www.citybonneylake.org/events#parksappreciation
For the first time this year we are also hosting a ‘Shredathon’ event to shred personal documents. For details visit www.citybonneylake.org/events#springcleanup or http://murreysdisposal.com/announcements.aspx
Residents inside the Bonney Lake City Limits can place extra cans or bags of garbage and yard waste for pickup during Spring Clean Up week!
• Please be sure all items are accessible by 7:00 a.m. to ensure pick up.
• Please place on the curb (sorry no alley pick up due to truck size).
• Please label/ID your extra yard waste so it is not confused as trash.
• Do not exceed 45lbs per bag for trash or yard waste.
• Please no tires or bulky items. All items must be contained in a can or bag.
If you have any questions, please email us at DMDisposal@wasteconnections.com or call Monday – Friday from 7:30am-5:00pm to speak with a customer service representative at 253-414-0347. Or visit www.citybonneylake.org/events#springcleanup for details.
See also …